Thursday, August 4, 2011

Microsoft Office 365

Post#12
What is Office 365?
·         Microsoft office collaborates tools delivered through the cloud
·         Access from anywhere to:  gmail, web conferencing, documents and calendars
·         Business class security
·         Backed by Microsoft
How it works
Ø  Microsoft manages the IT software and you control the user access rights
Ø  Licenced on a flexible per-user, per-month subscription cost
Ø  Provides cloud-based management tools in a single location

Services
Office Professional Plus 
  • Control your inbox with Conversation View; schedule meetings more efficiently by viewing calendar availability for colleagues in other companies as well as your own co-workers in Microsoft Outlook
  • Outlook Social Connector to better leverage the power of business and social networks
  • Collaborate  with real-time co-editing
  • Microsoft PowerPoint Broadcast Slide Show shares slideshows instantly around the world
  • Work virtually any place and on any device with Office Web Apps
Ø  Other services include:  Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Lync Online and Office Web Apps
Ø  NOTE:  Office Professional Plus appears to be the service that is listed most consistently in each of the available plans.

Plans
Professional and Small Business
  • For up to 25 employees
  • A solution without dedicated IT staff
  • Essential email, calendar and website services
  • Free online community support
< $6 per user per month
Midsize Business and Enterprises
  • For any size business
  • Advanced IT configuration and control
  • Office Professional Plus, Active Directory or advanced archiving
  • 27x7 IT Administrator support
  • Choice between monthly and annual contracts
Education
  • Plans for academic and education institutions
  • Delivers the power of cloud productivity to educational institutions of all sizes
  • Would have to try the E trial for midsize businesses and enterprises (there is no specific Office 365 for education trial)
  • Combine the familiar Office desktop suite with online versions of Microsoft’s next-generation communications and collaboration services.
  • Simple to use and easy to administer – all backed by the security and guaranteed reliability you expect from Microsoft

1 comment:

Richard Schwier said...

I've heard about Microsoft's introduction into the area of cloud-based services, and wondered what it looked like but never looked for myself. Thanks for detailing the structure here.

I'm pretty sure of two things: 1. Cloud computing is a big deal and is here to stay. It's convenient and enormously useful.

But:

2. I'm not so sure about monolithic companies offering suites of software and services being the way that people will eventually go.

This is not Microsoft-bashing. I would say the same thing about Adobe, Apple or even Google. I just wonder about buying into a company's view of everything I want to do. I like some Microsoft products and I like a bunch of Apple products. I use most of the Google services from Gmail to sites. But I don't like all of the products equally, and my sweet spot is a mashup of products from several companies. I want iCal, Excel, Google docs and analytics, DreamWeaver and InDesign. And I don't want to have to pay a subscription to each of these companies to use their products in the cloud. Just my opinion.

But the cloud? I love cloud computing the way I use it, and I'm not so paranoid about where the servers are. I realize other people are sensitive about that kind of thing, but I think personal preferences are an important issue here.

Okay - one piece of Microsoft bashing. The line "all backed by the security and guaranteed reliability you expect from Microsoft" gave me a moment of mirth.